Trenton Half Marathon Race Recap

half marathon

This post is long overdo but better late than never, right? On Saturday, November 7 my mom, dad, sister and I ran the Trenton Half Marathon. I finished the race in 2:25:59 which I’m pretty happy about because my goal was honestly just to finish.¬†Overall, I really enjoyed the course and thought that the race volunteers were really great. They were super quick at the water stations and did a great job of cheering on the runners.

Now on to the recap. The night before the race we went and picked up our race packets, ate lots of pasta, and were in bed by 9:30. I was tossing and turning all night and didn’t get a lot of sleep. My alarm went off at 5:30 and I got up and checked the weather first thing. It was already 59 degrees which meant that I would not be running in the clothes I had trained in for the last month (the high for the day was 65). I decided to wear a pair of capri’s with a t-shirt. For breakfast I ate a piece of rye toast with peanut butter and banana and a glass of water.

We left the house around 6:45 for the 8:00 start. The race didn’t actually start until about 8:15 and I ran the first mile with my sister at around a 9 minute mile pace. After the first mile I let her go ahead because my knees started to hurt and I wanted to slow my pace. The miles seemed to fly by which was really nice. Between mile 4 and 5 and 6 and 7, we had to run over a bridge which was fine except the bridges weren’t paved. The road was more like a grate and it was kind of painful to run on and I had to slow my pace because I was afraid I was going to twist my ankle.

There was a hill just after mile six, but it wasn’t too bad. The worst hills were between mile 8 and 10 where the course took us through Cadwalader Park. Honestly, it was torture at that point and I didn’t know how I was going to make it. After the park, it was pretty much a straight shot to the finish line. At this point, my knees had been hurting for 8 miles, the arches of my feet were on fire and my hamstrings weren’t feeling so great. I have no idea how slow I ran between mile 10 and 12, but I had to be going slower than a 12 minute pace (at least it felt like it). The race ended at Arm and Hammer Park (where Trenton’s Minor League Baseball team plays). You entered the stadium through the side and ran around the warning track and finished across home plate. I was in so much pain after the race that I the only thing I could do was walk because I was afraid that if I stopped moving I would collapse. After about 15 minutes of walking after the race, I found my sister (who finished at 2:07) and my boyfriend who were sitting on the third base line watching the runners cross the finish line. I joined them and we cheered on my mom and dad as they made their way towards home plate. After the race we were all pretty hungry and stopped at Bobby’s Burger Palace and ate burgers and fries. The rest of the day was spent laying around the house watching TV and sleeping.

Despite the pain and questioning my sanity during the race, I am so proud of myself for finishing because never in a million years would I ever have thought that I would run a half marathon. It was one of the most challenging things I have ever done both physically and mentally and I am so happy that I did it. It’s truly amazing what your body can do. My family is currently getting ready to train for our next half marathon on April 2nd and we are planning on doing another one May 14th.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *